Students and alumni of University of the Philippines (UP) went nostalgic on Saturday as they expressed sadness and speculations over the fire that struck the College of Arts and Sciences Alumni Association (Casaa) food center in Diliman, Quezon City.
The heartbroken “iskolars ng bayan” took to Twitter to share their memories in the gutted building, including remarkable experiences, favorite meals and the people they shared their food with.
Twitter user @rastroglianotp said it was in Casaa where she met her closest friends: “Sa Casaa ko nakilala ’yung mga super close friends ko hanggang ngayon. Mami-miss ko ‘yung bacon with egg sa Sizzlers na lagi kong lunch.”
Twitter user @IamMissFierce posted a before and after photo of the canteen with the caption “memories now turned into ashes.”
“UP will never be the same again without Casaa. It practically was my tambayan after my 7 a.m. class during my undergraduate years,” @jptablazon tweeted.
Some also expressed their worries over the safety and livelihood of food sellers. A radio report said a cook was injured from the fire which was reportedly caused by a leak from an LPG tank.
“I hope the university would help them in rebuilding their source of income,” said @HerKIELes.
“Casaa’s Chef’s Grill lady owner generously gives hot water for free whenever I bring my thermos. Hope they are all free from danger,” said @piacadiz.
UP students said they were hoping the administration would rebuild Casaa, with some raising speculations the blaze was “intentional” because of “privatization” and “change in management.”
“I smell something fishy behind those news about Casaa,” said @Edabols.
“How timely of Casaa burning down. Makes me think that this is no accident. This is a therapeutic chain of events,” @sparTANderbolt tweeted.
- This article originally appeared at Inquirer.net